Dairy Goat Herd Manager
River’s Edge Goat Dairy is located on 96 acres just outside Arthur, Ontario. This is a unique farm with a specialized herd of 75 milking goats. These goats are specifically bred to produce milk for cheesemaking at River’s Edge Goat Dairy and milk for chocolate production for The Goat Farm Chocolate Factory which is also located onsite. River’s Edge Goat Dairy is looking for a dedicated, long-term commitment from someone who is passionate about creating goodness from the ground up. Interacting and serving our clients, customers and members is an integral part of this position. The successful candidate will have excellent social skills, barn management skills and a joyful, confident, growth-oriented personality.
- Contributing to Team meetings where outcomes and business direction are decided.
- A leadership role in increasing the profitability of the existing herd by placing a strong focus on milk and meat production and quality, herd health and animal longevity.
- Managing a small team of 1-3 part time staff and reporting payroll hours.
- Communicate with the River’s Edge Team using Slack and other communication methods as necessary
- Measure, record, and report on production of milk, goat breeding production, meat production, feed usage, labour hours related to production, staff performance and other important measurables.
- Keeping the barn and barnyard space welcoming and safe for visitors, clients, customers, and members.
- Interacting professionally and courteously with all visitors to the farm and River’s Edge Team members.
Skills and Experience:
- 2-5 years minimum working with livestock, preferably goats.
- Ability to demonstrate knowledge of goats and experience working with dairy animals. Willing to train exceptional candidates with limited goat experience.
- Some post-secondary education, preferably in agriculture, animal sciences or animal production
- Ability to lift 25kg, handle livestock and be physically active for hours at a time.
- Familiarity and comfortable using a variety of computer apps and online media such as Facebook, Instagram, Slack, Word, Excel, Google forms, etc
- Experiences that demonstrate a passion for agriculture and food production, and value of growth and leadership
- Sound judgement and commitment to sustainable farm values and top quality food production
The Dairy Goat Herd Manager reports directly to the farm owner and works in collaboration with the entire team to achieve goals and outcomes of the farm business.
- Milking 50-75 goats
- Feeding, watering, bedding and seeing to the overall care of the goats and other animals.
- Monitoring, evaluating and measuring herd health and body condition of the goat herd and other animals.
- Monitoring inventories of feed and other supplies and ordering as necessary
- Delegating tasks and posting guidance and instructions for junior team members.
- Evaluating and proving feedback and coaching to Junior team members.
- Assisting with breeding, kidding and raising of kids.
- Welcoming and assisting all visitors encountered while at the farm.
- Working additional paid hours during hay harvest are expected and necessary.
Hours for this position will fluctuate throughout the year as River’s Edge operates seasonally. This is a PART TIME salary position 20k -35k per year depending on experience and performance. Opportunities exist to receive performance bonuses and additional paid hours. Possibility to have December 1 to February 28 off. Lots of room for growth, promotion, and acquiring additional responsibilities and wages. Graduation to a full-time position is possible. Preference will be given to those who wish to learn and grow with River’s Edge Goat Dairy. There is a possibility of seasonal room and board at the farm.
To apply, please send a cover letter explaining WHY you believe you will be an outstanding fit for our company and your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Visit www.GoatMilkProducts.ca for more information about River’s Edge Goat Dairy